Join us and work as part of a busy, fun team - where challenge, variety and personal development is all part of the package.
Balmoral Group was established in 1980 and is a privately owned company headquartered in Aberdeen, Scotland. Employing over 400 people and operating from a modern custom-built complex, the company’s products are used around the world.
Balmoral Offshore Engineering, a division of Balmoral Group, provides surface and subsurface buoyancy, insulation and elastomer products and services to the global energy, defence, subsea communications and oceanographic industries.
The company is looking to up-skill with in a composite design environment, the successful candidate must have detailed knowledge of designing load bearing structures utilising composite materials and be able to recommend layup and matrix configurations/technologies, additionally experience of manufacturing techniques would also be advantageous.
The successful candidate will be an integral member of a thriving ambitious R&D team sharing the same drive and enthusiasm as their peers. The jobholder will be producing innovative engineering solutions primarily based upon advanced composite structures. Bring products from concept through to prototype and finally offering support to the wider business for product launch. Ensuring all developments consider cost, time and quality are imperative. They will be required to show initiative in all aspects of the role and have the ability to work with minimal supervision.
4. MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE JOBHOLDER
- Design new composite (Fibre Reinforced Plastics) products from initial concept stage through to production in a professional and time efficient manner (using TRL based R&D process)
- Conduct appropriate material & manufacturing selection dependent upon project specifications
- Produce technical reports detailing work completed and the products produced. Including but not limited to, engineering structural calculations, Finite element analysis.
- To assist in the development of company design systems, standards and procedures
- Look for continuous improvement
- To contribute development ideas for existing products
- Support work for proposals and projects working to tight deadlines
5. WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
WITH WHOM THERE IS REGULAR WORKING CONTACT:
- Projects Engineers
- Sales/Proposals engineer
- Document Control
Note that criteria listed as “Required” will be strictly applied in the recruitment process – candidates who do not meet these criteria will be rejected.
- Engineering degree – Mechanical or Structural, A Degree in Mechanical Engineering preferred (Specialising in composite structures).
- Minimum of 3 years design experience
- Knowledge of composite structures, materials, matrices, layups and composite manufacturing techniques
- Experience using FEA and 3D CAD software
- 5 years plus mechanical/structural engineering design experience heavily involved with a composites discipline
- Knowledge of the Oil & Gas Industry or Wind Energy or Naval design
Excellent communication skills
Ability to work in a team
Ability to produce technical calculations quickly and accurately.
Knowledge of FEA software, preferably Ansys.
Competence in MS Word, Excel, Access
Appreciation of company and Industry Standards
- Knowledge of CAD software and drawing standards preferably Inventor
- Experience Mechanical and Composite FEA experience within Ansys
- Autodesk Inventor & Meridian (or other Database Management systems.)
- Competent ability in Mathcad
- Good technical report writing skills
- Knowledge of DNV-OS-C501 (Composite Components)