Join us and work as part of a busy, fun team - where challenge, variety and personal development is all part of the package.
Balmoral Group was established in 1980 and is a privately owned company headquartered in Aberdeen, Scotland. Employing over 400 people and operating from a modern custom-built complex, the company’s products are used around the world.
Balmoral Offshore Engineering, a division of Balmoral Group, provides surface and subsurface buoyancy, insulation and elastomer products and services to the global energy, defence, subsea communications and oceanographic industries.
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE JOB'S FUNCTION
The successful candidate will be an integral member of a thriving ambitious design engineering team sharing the same drive and enthusiasm as their peers. The jobholder will be producing innovative engineering solutions supporting sales and projects from concept through to production where cost, time and quality are imperative. They will be required to show initiative in all aspects of the role and have the ability to work with minimal supervision but at the same time possess all the attributes of a great team player.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE JOBHOLDER
- Design Balmoral products from initial concept stage through to production in a professional and time efficient manner.
- Producing 3-D CAD Models and Detail Drawings to provide solutions in accordance with clients’ requirements.
- Produce technical reports detailing work completed and the products produced. Including but not limited to, engineering calculations, Finite element analysis and CFD.
- To assist in the development of company design systems, standards and procedures
- Look for continuous improvement in products and processes.
- To contribute development ideas for new and existing products in new and existing industries.
- Support work for proposals and projects working to tight deadlines.
- Develop team members in areas of your expertise.
- Engineering degree – Mechanical or Structural. A Degree in Mechanical Engineering preferred.
- Or HND with 5 years post qualification experience minimum.
- Working towards, a desire to obtain or near achieving Chartered Status
- Minimum of 3 years design experience within a fast paced engineering design environment, preferably in the Oil & Gas industry.
- Experience using FEA and 3D CAD software.
- Strong knowledge, understanding and competency in CFD analysis and transient Thermal analysis
- 5 years plus mechanical engineering design experience
- Advanced knowledge in CFD
- Programming in Visual Basic
- Composites experience
- Worked with plastics in a design environment
- Programming and macro derivation
- Knowledge of the Oil & Gas Industry
- Knowledge of designing buoyancy products (not essential).
Excellent communication skills
Ability to work in a team
Knowledge of CAD software and drawing standards preferably Inventor
Ability to produce technical calculations quickly and accurately.
Knowledge of FEA software.
Competence in MS Word, Excel, Access
Appreciation of company and Industry Standards
Sound understanding of Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) experience
Thermal and Mechanical FEA experience
- Autodesk Inventor & Meridian (or other Database Management systems.)
- Competent ability in Mathcad
- Good technical report writing skills
- Experience in Design with Plastics
- Injection Moulding experience
- Programming in Visual Basic