Join us and work as part of a busy, fun team - where challenge, variety and personal development is all part of the package.
Balmoral Group was established in 1980 and is a privately owned company headquartered in Aberdeen, Scotland. Employing over 400 people and operating from a modern custom-built complex, the company’s products are used around the world.
Balmoral Offshore Engineering, a division of Balmoral Group, provides surface and subsurface buoyancy, insulation and elastomer products and services to the global energy, defence, subsea communications and oceanographic industries.
We are seeking a Proposals Engineer who will thrive on our dynamic environment – the successful candidate will be responsible for the preparation and submission of tenders throughout all phases of the corporate proposal process.
The candidate will compile bid packages ensuring that these are high quality, accurate and demonstrate both our Technical and Commercial strengths. They must be specific to the Clients’ requirements drawing on key selling features which will separate Balmoral from our competitors.
The Proposals Engineer must be able to manage their workload, ensuring that Clients deadlines are adhered to. They must maintain a professional approach all times whilst exceeding customer expectations through all stages of the transaction process.
The growth of the business is highly dependent on securing new business based on clear detailed information being provided at tender stage. To this end, the job holder must demonstrate a strong commercial acumen.
Main duties & responsibilities of the job holder
- To compile tenders for the company in line with the business plan targets, maintaining customer satisfaction and good client relations.
- To adhere to Balmoral Comtec core values
- Have the ability to identify, understand, interpret and collate customer requirements and compile compliant and alternative technical and commercial bids as required
- Have an understanding of engineering principles in order to carry out preliminary design and estimation of Balmorals products
- Receive the inputs from all involved departments and challenge proposed solutions in order to optimise costs & schedule
- Able to liaise with and convey customer requirements to Design, Project Management and Production teams
- Ensure timely submission of proposals to Clients
- Check and review bids when required
- Training, support and assistance to members of the team as well as other colleagues on an ongoing basis
- Foster harmonious team-working with other departments
- Ensure clear handover from tendering to Projects of information for all secured opportunities, ensuring all risk and opportunities are communicated to the Project team in a timely manner
- Attend/Lead ER, CR, Handover and Kick off meetings when required
- Ensure that all systems are maintained and developed in line with company procedures
- Review previous Projects costs in order to ensure that costings and labour hours are accurate and up to date
- Ensure product track records are maintained with accurate project information
- As necessary, perform other duties, requiring essentially the same level of skill & responsibility
Qualifications and Skills
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Contractual awareness
- Strong analytical and commercial skills
- Understanding of Engineering principles
- Previous estimating experience
- Ability to effectively manage own workload, and work within given timescales (both internal and external), ensuring project requirements are met
- Ability to multi-task and work to tight deadlines
- Previous work experience as a Proposals/Tendering/Contracts Engineer preferably within the Renewables, Oil and Gas or Construction Industry
- Good communication, organisational and negotiation skills
- Ability to work using own initiative and to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Pro-active forward looking approach
- Commitment to provide excellent Customer Care
- Ability to read and understand specifications and drawings
Teamwork – Being able to get on with other people and work with them efficiently. Being able to give honest and constructive feedback to others.
Problem Solving - Anticipates potential problems and develops appropriate solutions, through use of logic, objectivity and initiative.
Commercial Awareness – Understands the business and the industry demands
Decision Making - Judges the necessity for decisions with the need for consultation. Uses objectivity and a range of techniques to establish the key issues influencing the decision and considers the risks and potential before taking a decision, involving and consulting as appropriate.
Continuous Improvement - Develops creative ways of improving performance and utilising technological solutions where appropriate.
Managing Change - Adopts a flexible approach to plans and working practices to accommodate new initiatives and successfully adapts to a new working environment or culture.
- < > - Presents information to others clearly, ensuring understanding. Establishes information flows between self, departmental management and other key players to ensure effective information sharing to achieve the required standards and agreed goals.
Analytical Thinking – The ability to tackle a problem by a logical, systematic, sequential approach. Prioritising workloads to ensure that deadlines are met for key tenders.
Technical Expertise – Can demonstrate a sound understanding of Engineering principles in order to solve problems, as well as show an interest in learning to further develop skills.
- Can identify what requires to be done and doing it before being asked or before the situation requires it by taking independent action.< > – Ensures that one's own and others' work and information are complete and accurate; carefully preparing all documentation and correspondence; checking work where required.< > - Ensures co-operation with other departments to ensure achievement of agreed goals. Communicates a customer focused vision and acts effectively and objectively to resolve conflict, minimising disruption to the operation of the department.
- Health and Safety - Understands the Health and Safety legislation pertinent to area of operation and ensures their consistent implementation in the workplace, in a fair and reasonable manner.
Maximising opportunities by providing alternative and/or value engineered solutions
Timely presentation of tender, reports etc.
Continual improvement of accurate costs, information provided to clients, systems and processes